We finally got the ginger and raspberry plants into the ground! It’s sometimes hard to find time for an extra project during the peak of the growing season, with all the other harvesting, planting, and tending we do. But we were excited to get these plantings done.
Last weekend we planted the raspberries, with the help of my Dad. Thanks, Dad! There were tons of rocks in the ground where the hill slopes up above the water hydrants. We took out three wheel-barrow loads full of small and large rocks; one from each of the three 45′ x 3′ rows. Plus lots of roots from the healthy sumac and poison ivy growing up on the hillside. The raspberry plants are starting to look happier now that they have water, nutrients, and room for their roots to grow. Next we’ll need to provide a trellis, and eventually add irrigation to the area.
Yesterday we tackled the ginger planting project. Like the raspberries, it wasn’t hard doing the actual planting, but getting the area prepared was what took a lot of time.
There was a big pile of metal that had to be moved first. The pipes are the structure of our next greenhouse project. Moving the pile out of this greenhouse means we will have to put up another greenhouse soon! Luckily Gavin had already started laying out the site, so the pile of metal won’t be sitting out in the weather for too long, we hope.
Gavin removed all the brambles and vegetation that was growing up, put down soil amendments and compost, and tilled the area with the small garden tiller.
Then we measured out the holes and planted the ginger.
Finally, watering them in! It’ll be nice to have something growing in the greenhouse ground now, besides the trays of transplants up on the benches. Progress.